Home News Why we searched UN building in Maiduguri – Army
NewsNigeria News

Why we searched UN building in Maiduguri – Army

Share
why we searched un building in maiduguri army
Share

The Nigerian Army on Friday said it had conducted cordon and search operation at a building housing the United Nations (UN) staff in Maiduguri following alert on high profile Boko Haram members.

Lt. Col. Samuel Kingsley, the spokesperson, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, said in a statement released in Maiduguri that the army had intensified condone and search operation in Maiduguri and its environs to clear remnants of Boko Haram insurgents.

“On 10th August 2017, the Theatre Command received information from credible sources that some high profiled Boko Haram insurgents infiltrated into Pompomari-ByePass area of Maiduguri.

The Nigerian Army

The Nigerian Army

“It therefore became expedient to take pre-emptive action by combing the general area through a cordon and search operations.

“The operation was successfully conducted as over 30 houses were searched.
One of such building included a property which was said to be occupied by United Nations Staff, although the property did not carry a UN designation.

“On the whole, operation in the general area was successfully concluded but no arrest was made because the suspects were not found,” Kingsley said.

Kingsley noted that troops under the Operation LAFIYA DOLE had been conducting several clearance as well as cordon and search operations in urban and rural areas within the Theatre.

He said that the clearance operations effort had yielded significant successes in the past weeks.

According to him, the operation had forced Boko Haram insurgents to change tactics and resort to suicide bombing targeting military locations and the populace.

Kingsley stressed that the operation was necessitated by the need to intensify Cordon and Search in Maiduguri metropolis and environment.

He listed other areas affected by the operation as Jiddari –Polo, Muna Garage, Jakana among others.

“The command wishes to assure the general public that the operations are being conducted to safeguard lives and properties but not targeted at any individual or group.

“Members of the public are cautioned against peddling rumours which may cause disaffection and to remain law abiding”.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Robert Duvall, Oscar-Winning Star Of Tender Mercies, Dead At 95
Celebrity newsNews

Robert Duvall, Oscar-Winning Star of Tender Mercies, Dies at 95

Respected actor and filmmaker Robert Duvall has died. He had a remarkable...

I’ll work with any political party – Iyabo Ojo tells critics after FAAN video
Nigeria News

Iyabo Ojo Responds to Criticism Over FAAN Video

Nollywood actress, Iyabo Ojo, has said she will work with any political...

Billboard under fire for calling Rema ‘one-hit wonder’
Nigeria News

Billboard Faces Backlash Over ‘One-Hit Wonder’ Label for Rema

United States entertainment magazine, Billboard, has come under fire on social media...

How Juju man tried to cast spell on me but failed – Nathaniel Bassey (VIDEO)
Nigeria News

Nathaniel Bassey Recounts Alleged Spiritual Attack on Express Road

Nigerian gospel minister and pastor, Nathaniel Bassey, has recounted how an alleged...