Good morning, glory! How’s it going this morning? I’m pretty excited right now because 1. it’s Saturday, which means that El Hub doesn’t have to go to work, so we can spend more time together, the whole family, and 2. because I’m going to a new salon today.
Well…I’m going to a new salon, but I’ll be seeing my same long-term hair tamer/friend, Alis. She moved from Fox + Stone Salon in Corte Madera to a new place up the street from there called Plum.
I can’t wait to see her new space, and I’m stoked because my roots are a hot mess right now.
Seriously, thank goodness for Rita Hazan…
Plum is also closer to this pizza joint I like that sells de-lish thin-crust slices, so Mr. Cheese Pizza With Pepperoni and Olives, HERE I COME! ?
In other news, I just realized that Halloween is 12 weeks away, which is kinda freaking me out because that means that Christmas is right around the corner.
OK…maybe not right around the corner, but you know what I mean. It’s sneaking up fast.
I like the holidays, but I long for the days when they were easy, and all I had to do was show up and O.D. on mashed potatoes and gravy and then fall asleep on the couch.
Alright, I’m getting ahead of myself… It’s still summer, I know. Good day to go to the pool.
Speaking of that, does anyone else get excited about using sunscreen?? Have you tried Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen? I got it before our trip to Hawaii in June on the recommendation of a friend who has a daughter around Connor’s age, but El Hub and I liked it so much that we started using it on ourselves!
They also have a Wet Skin spray version, which I’m thinking will be good for today. I vaguely remember using it once before, but I can’t remember if I liked it.
I don’t usually start with spray sunscreens, but I like to use them to touch up between applying lotion sunscreens… If that makes any sense.
If you’re headed to the pool or the beach this weekend, have fun! ? If you’re in the mood for more reading before you go, here are some beauty (and non-beauty) stories that caught my eye this week…
- Kiehl’s is now available at Sephora!
- Something I’ve always wondered: How the heck do goths handle summer?
- I spent SO MANY hours playing Super Mario Bros. when I was a kid, so the Shu Uemura x Super Mario Holiday Collection is making me SQUEEEEEE!
- Can brands like MAC and NARS claim that they don’t test on animals if they sell their products in countries that require animal testing for beauty products?
- At a press conference, actress and L’Oréal Brand Ambassador Helen Mirren admits that their moisturizer “probably does f— all.”
- Princess Awesome sells cute girls’ clothes with unconventional prints that promote math, science and space exploration, which is SO COOL! I’m gonna get the Coywolf a Rockets Dress, which just might be her first official uniform in her quest to reach Mars.
(BTW, Princess Awesome also makes accessories for adults, too.)
- How to travel for a month with only carry-on luggage (and still look cute!)
- What does $1,200 in rent get you in these 10 U.S. cities?
- I read a lot about bacteria this week (long story), and this video on cellphones was both fascinating and gross.
- The 19 best foods for health and happiness
- Medical care is often disjointed or difficult to access for post-partum mothers, and the baby is the focus of attention.
- Someone invented a hammock for boobs.
- The Sweet Valley High series was my fave in my tween years, and it’s getting a movie adaptation.
- If you’re looking for a new gig, NASA is hiring someone to defend Earth from aliens…and it pays a 6-figure salary, so MOAR money for makeup, obvs.
- And just in case you missed it, the MAC Girls collection launched this week! I feel like Rockin’ Rebel, Mischief Minx, and Fashion Fanatic deliver the goods (but I’m not too crazy about Power Hungry).
Also, the Summer of Skincare is in full swing. This week I took a look at probiotics in skincare products and the Tula line, as well as 5 bodacious botanicals from Space NK.
And if you’re going to any beauty conferences soon, here are three ways to make the most of them.
Lastly, keep your eyes peeled for these three up-and-coming beauty brands.
Try to get some rest this weekend if you can. (I know, easier said than done.) I’m partially saying that to also remind myself, because downtime is necessary for mental health. It really is. So chill for a second, OK? It’s important.
Have a good weekend. ?
Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,