WowPlus
Home Celebrities Nigerian Celebrities NLC rejects N30,000 new minimum wage, gives reasons
Nigerian Celebrities

NLC rejects N30,000 new minimum wage, gives reasons

Share
Share
NLC 9

The Kebbi State chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), on Wednesday, kicked against the approved N30,000 minimum wage by the state government.

The state chairman of the union, Umar Halidu, made this known while briefing journalists in Birnin- Kebbi, the state capital.

Mr. Halidu said the rejection of the minimum wage was based on the outcome of the union meeting with its members in the 21 Local Government Areas (LGAs) of the state.

“After extensive deliberations on the issue of N30,000 minimum wage that was viral on social media, the joint NLC and Trade Union Congress (TUC) in session kicked vehemently against the unilateral decision of the state government on the implementation of the wage.

“The state government went ahead unilaterally to approve the minimum wage without any agreement with our members.

“We don’t know the percentage approved to the workers above grade level 07.

“The N30,000 minimum wage for workers from grade level 01 and 06 is already a law but the fate of those above that is unknown to us as we have not discussed any agreement with the government,” he said.

Mr. Halidu said the organized labour was not a party to the decision, describing it as a violation of the principle of collective bargaining.

“We hereby totally disassociate ourselves from the said minimum wage.

“We call on government to set up machinery to deliberate on possible implementation of the minimum wage that could be acceptable to both parties to ensure industrial harmony,” he said.

The chairman also called on workers to remain calm and law abiding.

“The union is doing everything humanly possible to ensure that their rights and privileges are protected,” Mr Halidu said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) had earlier on September 23, reported that the state government said it would pay N30,000 minimum wage to workers with effect from September 2019.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Oyo attacks: ‘Silence after presidential pardon isn’t bravery’ – TikToker Sea King to Sunday Igboho
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Sea King Blasts Sunday Igboho Over Oyo Attacks And Rising Insecurity

Nigerian TikToker, Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King, has called out...

Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid Spotify Streams Hit Historic 11 Billion Milestone

Wizkid, a prominent Nigerian Afrobeats musician, has made history as the first...

Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Burna Boy, Tems nominated for 2026 BET Awards
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tems And Asake Score Major 2026 BET Awards Nominations

Nigerians Afrobeat singer, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Asake and Tems have been nominated...

Alleged extra marital affair: Court orders VeryDarkMan to pay Mr Jollof’s wife N30m for defamation
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

VeryDarkMan Ordered To Pay N30m After Court Rules Against Him In Defamation Case

A Delta State Federal High Court sitting in Effurun has ordered popular...