WowPlus
Home Celebrities Nigerian Celebrities FG uncovers 60,000 ghost workers
Nigerian Celebrities

FG uncovers 60,000 ghost workers

Share
Share

At least 60,000 ghost workers have been uncovered by the Federal Government since the introduction of the Bank Verification Number (BVN), Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has said.

Osinbajo gave the update on government’s war on corruption at the 5th Annual Christopher Kolade Lecture on Business Integrity in Lagos on Thursday night.

This is almost twice the 33,000 figure given by Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, in October last year.

The minister said at the time that the removal of  33,000 ghost names from payroll of federal government’s ministries, departments and agencies had helped in reducing the wage bill from N166billion to N142billion.

The acting president did not say on Thursday how much government now saves with the uncovering of the 60,000 ghost workers.

But he said the closure of over 20, 000 government bank accounts  and the introduction of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) has brought a great deal of sanity into handling of public funds.

Also yielding positive results, according to him are ‘’getting all our armed forces personnel on the electronic human resource payroll to prevent scams in the service and the whistleblower policy.”

Osinbajo said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration would not relent in the anti- corruption war although he stressed that the war was better fought by preventing it than trying to recover stolen funds.

He cited the $15billion arms funds allegedly stolen during ex- President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration and the frustrations government currently faces in recovering stolen funds stashed abroad.

He said: ”In our investigations into defence spending, we discovered $15 billion unaccounted for, with no guarantee that we will ever be able to recover it.

“You can imagine the damage done by that corrupt act.

”You need to engage forensic consultants and hire other experts; even then, you will only have some hope of recovering some of what has been lost.”

“Many countries are reluctant to return proceeds of corruption by introducing legal obstacles of different kinds to ensure that we do not get back the money.”


Tags:

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Oyo attacks: ‘Silence after presidential pardon isn’t bravery’ – TikToker Sea King to Sunday Igboho
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Sea King Blasts Sunday Igboho Over Oyo Attacks And Rising Insecurity

Nigerian TikToker, Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King, has called out...

Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid Spotify Streams Hit Historic 11 Billion Milestone

Wizkid, a prominent Nigerian Afrobeats musician, has made history as the first...

Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Burna Boy, Tems nominated for 2026 BET Awards
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tems And Asake Score Major 2026 BET Awards Nominations

Nigerians Afrobeat singer, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Asake and Tems have been nominated...

Alleged extra marital affair: Court orders VeryDarkMan to pay Mr Jollof’s wife N30m for defamation
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

VeryDarkMan Ordered To Pay N30m After Court Rules Against Him In Defamation Case

A Delta State Federal High Court sitting in Effurun has ordered popular...