Nigeria news : COVID-19 Plateau announces lockdown of State, Sequel to Coronavirus pandemic that has continued to ravage many countries of the world, Nigeria inclusive, Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State has announced a lockdown in the state, blocking all entry routes in and out of the state with effect from 6 am, Thursday, 2nd April 2020.
The State shares borders with Bauchi, Kaduna, Nasarawa and Taraba States.
Lalong who is the chairman of the State COVID-19 Taskforce disclosed this through the Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Danladi Atu, while speaking with journalists at the old government house in Rayfield, Jos, the State capital.
“Base on the assessment of the situation, the chairman of the Plateau State COVID-19 Taskforce, His Excellency, Governor Simon Lalong has directed that from 6 am Thursday, 2nd April 2020, all entry and exit routes to Plateau State will be closed. No one will be allowed to come in or leave.
“As part of the enforcement on gathering not more than 50 people especially during religious events, any group which disregards this directive will be shut down outrightly.
He added that “If those gatherings of not more than 50 persons must hold, the organizers should adhere strictly to 2-meter distancing, provision of water and sanitizers at entrances.
He also said traders selling food items are to henceforth maintain the 5 meters distance directive.
The Governor, however, said, “We are concerned that transport operators are yet to fully comply as they are still carrying passengers as they were previously doing.
“We are calling on them again for further engagement where they will be issued the last warning,” he stressed.