Last Updated: 01/07/17 3:09pm

Chelsea have announced the signing of free agent goalkeeper Willy Caballero, who was formerly with Manchester City.

The experienced 35-year-old will provide competition to Blues first choice Thibaut Courtois, following the departure of Asmir Begovic to Bournemouth, and the 34-year-old Portugal international goalkeeper Eduardo is also on Chelsea’s books.

Caballero had been with City since 2014 but was released when his contract expired at the end of June.

The hero of City’s penalty shoot-out win over Liverpool in the 2016 League Cup final, the Argentine played 26 times in all competitions last season, starting in some key Champions League games, including a win over Barcelona.

Also read:  Sunday's Arsenal transfer rumours

“I am very happy to join Chelsea, the champions of England,” said Caballero.

“I am looking forward to meeting the guys and helping the club achieve more success in the coming season.”

Caballero was the hero of Man City's Capital One Cup final win of 2016

Caballero was the hero of Man City's Capital One Cup final win of 2016

Caballero was the hero of Man City’s Capital One Cup final win of 2016

Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo said: “We are very happy to have Willy on board. He knows the Premier League and is tried and tested at the top of the game.

‘We have three experienced goalkeepers and we look forward to welcoming him to the club when the squad returns to pre-season training.”

Also read:  Mertens never considered leaving Napoli amid Barcelona and Chelsea interest

Caballero joined City following stints at Malaga and Elche in Spain and with Boca Juniors in his homeland.

He played under Manuel Pellegrini at Malaga and the manager subsequently brought him to the Premier League.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here