Home Sports Football Benjamin Mendy tweet row: Bernardo Silva an exceptional person, says Pep Guardiola
Football

Benjamin Mendy tweet row: Bernardo Silva an exceptional person, says Pep Guardiola

Share
benjamin mendy tweet row bernardo silva an exceptional person says pep guardiola
Share
109001165 silva mendy
Bernardo Silva (right), here with Benjamin Mendy in training, scored a hat-trick in Manchester City’s 8-0 win over Watford on Saturday

Bernardo Silva has been defended again by Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola after accusations of racism following a tweet to team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

The Football Association wrote to City after Mendy was compared to a character on a packet of Conguitos – a sweet brand available in Spain and Portugal.

Silva was criticised for the post and deleted it, but Guardiola has called him an “exceptional person”.

“It was a simple joke but if someone is offended I can understand it,” he said.

“Bernardo is maybe going to take a lesson and it’s not going to happen again.”

Silva has personally written to the FA to say he regrets the fact his social media post may have unintentionally caused offence.

Mendy has also written in support of Bernardo, saying he did not take offence.

Guardiola, who previously said it would be a ‘mistake’ to punish Silva, added: “If someone is affected or feels bad about that tweet or any comments, it can happen. People judging Bernardo don’t know him.

“Bernardo is not absolutely guilty because his intention… it was just a joke.

“It’s a cartoon and the face is quite similar. The same happened a thousand million times with white people. It’s the same. It was just a joke and that’s all. But if the people in the FA think it’s the opposite then Bernardo and City are open to listening.”

The post was published at 12:44 BST on Sunday but was deleted at 13:30, although Portugal international Silva later tweeted: “Can’t even joke with a friend these days.”

France defender Mendy and Silva are close friends and played together at Monaco before both joined City in 2017.

A previous video of Silva joking with Mendy has also been passed on to the FA.

But a Kick It Out statement said: “Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as ‘banter’, and we’re shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.”

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
NPFL: Shooting Stars target win over Ikorodu City in Lagos
Football

Shooting Stars Eyes Redemption — Ready to Take All Three Points in Lagos

Shooting Stars defender, Al-Ameen Tijani, has expressed the club’s determination to secure...

Transfer: Fago Lawal seals move to Czech club Viktoria Plzen
Football

New Chapter for Fago Lawal: From Croatia to Plzeň

Czech First Division club FC Viktoria Plzen have announced the signing of...

Super Eagles: Wilfred Ndidi loses father to road accident
Football

Wilfred Ndidi and the Quiet Weight of Loss

Super Eagles captain Wilfred Ndidi has lost his father, Sunday Ndidi. Sunday...

Arsenal could activate £17.5m release clause as recruitment team track La Liga talent
Football

Arsenal Eye Young La Liga Midfielder Rodrigo Mendoza — A Low-Cost, High-Upside Option

Arsenal’s recruitment specialists have been tracking the progress of Elche midfielder Rodrigo...