Home Sports Football Terry rejected Premier League clubs to avoid facing Chelsea
Football

Terry rejected Premier League clubs to avoid facing Chelsea

Share
terry rejected premier league clubs to avoid facing chelsea
Share

The Stamford Bridge legend admits that staying in the Premier League and having to play against the Blues would have been “too much” for him

New Aston Villa signing John Terry says he rejected offers from Premier League clubs because he could not face the prospect of playing against Chelsea.

The 36-year-old finalised a move to Villa Park on Monday, signing a one-year deal with Steve Bruce’s side.

‘Villa not a step down for Terry’

Terry, who left Chelsea at the end of his contract last month after spending 22 years at Stamford Bridge, says he could not consider joining another club in England’s top flight as it would have been “too much” to play against his old team.

However, the former England captain is determined to help Villa achieve promotion from the Championship in 2017-18.

“I won’t name names but I’m thankful for the interest in me,” he told a news conference.

“The mental side of playing against Chelsea was too much to get over for me. I was there for 22 years at the football club. I am very proud of that but this is a new chapter in my life and career.

“My thoughts are 100 per cent here and the ambition is to get us back to the Premier League. It’s a huge club. Villa Park is one of the finest stadiums in the country and there’s a good group of players here.

Cole: Losing Terry will hurt Chelsea

“I can’t wait to get started now and look to help the squad achieve something special this season. It’s a club that deserves to be in the Premier League and I still want to continue playing.

“I am hungry to still play with a team and manager that has the same ambition as me to get promoted.

“The ideal situation is to get into the Premier League, that’s why I’m here and I believe we have the squad of players to do so. If they’re back in the Premier League this time next year I’ve done my job, and we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
NPFL: Shooting Stars target win over Ikorodu City in Lagos
Football

Shooting Stars Eyes Redemption — Ready to Take All Three Points in Lagos

Shooting Stars defender, Al-Ameen Tijani, has expressed the club’s determination to secure...

Transfer: Fago Lawal seals move to Czech club Viktoria Plzen
Football

New Chapter for Fago Lawal: From Croatia to Plzeň

Czech First Division club FC Viktoria Plzen have announced the signing of...

Super Eagles: Wilfred Ndidi loses father to road accident
Football

Wilfred Ndidi and the Quiet Weight of Loss

Super Eagles captain Wilfred Ndidi has lost his father, Sunday Ndidi. Sunday...

Arsenal could activate £17.5m release clause as recruitment team track La Liga talent
Football

Arsenal Eye Young La Liga Midfielder Rodrigo Mendoza — A Low-Cost, High-Upside Option

Arsenal’s recruitment specialists have been tracking the progress of Elche midfielder Rodrigo...