WowPlus
Home Celebrities Nigerian Celebrities Anambra lawmakers threaten court action against police over sealing of Assembly complex
Nigerian Celebrities

Anambra lawmakers threaten court action against police over sealing of Assembly complex

Share
Share
anambra assembly

Factional members of the Anambra State House of Assembly on Thursday condemned the sealing off of the House of Assembly by police authorities, saying they will take legal action against the Nigeria police if they fail to unseal the legislative complex on or before Tuesday, 27 November 2018.

The lawmakers who arrived the Assembly premises at about 11:59am led by it speaker, Hon. Ikem Uzoezie, to resume sitting were stopped by security men at the gate of the complex.

Police had last week sealed off the complex over the impeachment of the former Speaker, Mrs Rita Maduagwu and the attempted invasion of the complex by thugs who came to protest the impeachment.

The police in sealing off the premises said it was to forestall breach of peace.

But the lawmaker said the continued sealing of the Anambra legislative house was not only unconstitutional but a frontal attack on democracy in the state.

The speaker who addressed journalists on behalf of his group, describing the police action as uncalled for, urged the religious body, Traditional rulers and the general public to intervened on the development to enable them to discharge their legislative assignment.

According to the Speaker, “It is on record that there was no incident or semblance of any crises that occurred among the members or within the premises of the Anambra State House of Assembly to warrant the leadership of the House to request you (Police) to take over, seal off and secure premises of the Assembly.”

Other lawmakers; Hon. Onyebuchi Offor (PDP Minority leader) and Hon. Victor Jidefor Okoye, (APGA Majority leader),who also spoke on the development, described the action of the police as illegal, unconstitutional and an abuse of office.

The lawmakers called on the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris to caution the Anambra State Command, stating that the command’s action amounted to attacking the symbol of democracy in the state.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Oyo attacks: ‘Silence after presidential pardon isn’t bravery’ – TikToker Sea King to Sunday Igboho
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Sea King Blasts Sunday Igboho Over Oyo Attacks And Rising Insecurity

Nigerian TikToker, Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King, has called out...

Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid Spotify Streams Hit Historic 11 Billion Milestone

Wizkid, a prominent Nigerian Afrobeats musician, has made history as the first...

Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Burna Boy, Tems nominated for 2026 BET Awards
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tems And Asake Score Major 2026 BET Awards Nominations

Nigerians Afrobeat singer, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Asake and Tems have been nominated...

Alleged extra marital affair: Court orders VeryDarkMan to pay Mr Jollof’s wife N30m for defamation
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

VeryDarkMan Ordered To Pay N30m After Court Rules Against Him In Defamation Case

A Delta State Federal High Court sitting in Effurun has ordered popular...