WowPlus
Home Celebrities Security Forces Respond To ‘Ongoing Attack’ At Luxury Resort In Mali
Celebrities

Security Forces Respond To ‘Ongoing Attack’ At Luxury Resort In Mali

Share
Share
mali resort wide 28033d0cefab4420ac74bbdf3a156d0ad47f6fbd s1100 c15

A satellite view of Le Campement resort in Dougourakoro, just east of Mali’s capital, Bamako. Google Maps/Screenshot by NPR hide caption

toggle caption

Google Maps/Screenshot by NPR

A satellite view of Le Campement resort in Dougourakoro, just east of Mali’s capital, Bamako.

Google Maps/Screenshot by NPR

Updated at 4:06 p.m. ET

An “ongoing attack” has roiled a luxury resort near Mali’s capital, Bamako, the U.S. State Department confirmed Sunday. “Malian forces are responding” to the attack at Le Campement Kangaba, the agency tweeted, warning U.S. citizens to avoid the area.

“There was an exchange of gunfire with special anti-terrorist forces (FORSAT) who arrived only a few minutes after the attack began,” Mali’s ministry of security said in a statement. “The special forces have now sealed off the perimeters of the site and are in the process of securing it.”

At least two people have been killed in the violence, the ministry says, adding that a civilian and a member of the security forces have also been wounded.

“The situation is under control,” ministry spokesman Baba Cisse told Reuters by telephone.

The United Nations mission to the country, known as MINUSMA, tells NPR the Malian security forces are in charge of the operation.

“Westerners were fleeing the encampment while two plainclothes police exchanged fire with the assailants,” a witness tells The Guardian. “There were four national police vehicles and French soldiers in armoured vehicles on the scene.”

Earlier this month, the U.S. Embassy in Mali warned Americans of “a possible increased threat of attacks against Western diplomatic missions, places of worship, and other locations in Bamako where Westerners frequent.

“Avoid vulnerable locations with poor security measures in place, including hotels, restaurants, and churches,” the Embassy said.

Late last year, the U.S. State Department also warned U.S. citizens against traveling to Mali “because of ongoing terrorist attacks and criminal violence.”

Another luxury site popular with tourists came under attack in Mali in 2015, when gunmen stormed a Radisson Blu hotel in the country’s capital, killing at least 19 people.

That attack was claimed by the militant group al-Mourabitoun, which said it collaborated with an al-Qaida affiliate in the violence.

This is a developing story. Some things that get reported by the media will later turn out to be wrong. We will focus on reports from police officials and other authorities, credible news outlets and reporters who are at the scene. We will update as the situation develops.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
7 Pics Of Carrie Underwood's Original Lips That Are Wild To See Today
BeautyCelebritiesTrendingUnited States Celebrities

Carrie Underwood Original Lips: A Look Back Before the Big Change

Some Carrie Underwood fans are convinced that she started using lip fillers...

Vanessa Trump Cannot Seem To Escape Her Tragic Relationship Pattern
CelebritiesTrendingUnited States Celebrities

Vanessa Trump Relationship Pattern: Why Trouble Keeps Following Her Love Life

Vanessa Trump has revealed where she stands with Tiger Woods after his...

Trump Shoves Karoline Leavitt Into The Line Of Fire To Mask His Own Thin-Skinned Tantrum
CelebritiesMake UpUnited States Celebrities

Trump Karoline Leavitt Clash Sparks Questions About Blame and Control

Donald Trump had one of his trademark tantrums while speaking to reporters,...