Home Sports Football Pep Guardiola: Man City ‘innocent until proven guilty’ on Financial Fair Play rules
Football

Pep Guardiola: Man City ‘innocent until proven guilty’ on Financial Fair Play rules

Share
pep guardiola man city innocent until proven guilty on financial fair play rules
Share
107003850 mediaitem107003849
Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium as fans celebrate Premier League title
FA Cup final on the BBC: Man City v Watford
Date: Saturday, 18 May Kick-off: 17:00 BST
Live coverage of Manchester City against Watford in the FA Cup final on BBC One, including highlights, across the BBC Sport website and app; live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; live text commentary on the BBC Sport website.

Manchester City are “innocent until proven guilty” over claims they breached Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules, says manager Pep Guardiola.

City, seeking to complete a domestic treble in Saturday’s FA Cup final against Watford, face a Uefa inquiry.

It is understood some Uefa investigators want the club to be banned from the Champions League for a season if they are found guilty.

“I said many times I trust the club,” said Guardiola.

“If Uefa decide we have done something wrong, we will be punished.

“I know people want to find us guilty but we are innocent until proven guilty. Today we are innocent.”

City have won the Premier League and Carabao Cup this season and will become the first team to win the domestic treble in England if they beat Watford on Saturday (17:00 BST).

The club have said “the accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false”.

Chief investigator Yves Leterme has made his recommendation but it is not known if he supports a ban.

Former Belgian prime minister Leterme, chairman of the investigatory panel of Uefa’s independent financial control board (CFCB), and his team looked at evidence first uncovered in a series of leaks published by German newspaper Der Spiegel last year.

The reports alleged that City broke FFP regulations by inflating the value of a multi-million-pound sponsorship deal. City were fined £49m in 2014 for a previous breach of regulations.

It understood Leterme’s fellow board members firmly expressed the view at a recent meeting that a season-long ban would be a suitable punishment if City are found guilty.

Uefa said Leterme, “after having consulted with the other members of the independent investigatory chamber”, decided “to refer Manchester City FC to the CFCB adjudicatory chamber following the conclusion of his investigation”.

It is unlikely any punishment for City will apply to next season’s Champions League because they could appeal, and even take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

City could also face a transfer ban, with the Football Association, Premier League and Fifa investigating the club over the signing of youth players.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
NPFL: Shooting Stars target win over Ikorodu City in Lagos
Football

Shooting Stars Eyes Redemption — Ready to Take All Three Points in Lagos

Shooting Stars defender, Al-Ameen Tijani, has expressed the club’s determination to secure...

Transfer: Fago Lawal seals move to Czech club Viktoria Plzen
Football

New Chapter for Fago Lawal: From Croatia to Plzeň

Czech First Division club FC Viktoria Plzen have announced the signing of...

Super Eagles: Wilfred Ndidi loses father to road accident
Football

Wilfred Ndidi and the Quiet Weight of Loss

Super Eagles captain Wilfred Ndidi has lost his father, Sunday Ndidi. Sunday...

Arsenal could activate £17.5m release clause as recruitment team track La Liga talent
Football

Arsenal Eye Young La Liga Midfielder Rodrigo Mendoza — A Low-Cost, High-Upside Option

Arsenal’s recruitment specialists have been tracking the progress of Elche midfielder Rodrigo...