Home News Canada news Ontario integrity commissioner investigating government decision to open Greenbelt land to housing development
Canada news

Ontario integrity commissioner investigating government decision to open Greenbelt land to housing development

Share
ontario integrity commissioner investigating government decision to open greenbelt land to housing development
Share
ontario integrity commissioner investigating government decision to open greenbelt land to housing development

Ontario’s integrity commissioner says he will investigate a complaint against Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Steve Clark and his decision to open the protected Greenbelt to housing development.

A complaint from incoming NDP leader Marit Stiles asks the commissioner to look into what she calls “curious timing of recent purchases of Greenbelt land by powerful landowners with donor and political ties to the Ontario PC Party.”

She cites media reports that some developers bought that land over the past few years, despite Clark and the premier previously publicly saying it wouldn’t be developed, with one purchase happening as recently as September, two months before Clark announced he’d open the lands up.

Clark announced in November that the government will remove land from 15 different areas of the protected Greenbelt, while adding acres elsewhere so that 50,000 homes can be built.

Stiles asked the integrity commissioner to investigate whether Clark broke ethics rules around making a public policy decision to further someone’s private interests.

Clark and Premier Doug Ford have both denied tipping off developers ahead of the public announcement. A similar complaint about the Greenbelt lodged by Green Party leader Mike Schreiner was also dismissed Wednesday, something a spokesperson for Clark said the minister welcomed.

“The Minister also looks forward to being cleared of any wrongdoing at the conclusion of the investigation,” Chris Poulos said in a statement.

Cabinet passed two regulations on Dec. 14 that enacted its controversial plan to open up land for development in different areas of the Greenbelt and Oak Ridges Moraine. It also added some 3,800 hectares in other areas. 

The province says the move was made as part of its goal to build 1.5 million homes over 10 years.

But prominent developers — some who bought land that couldn’t be developed as recently as September, according to investigations by CBC News, The Globe and Mail, the Toronto Star and the Narwhal — stand to benefit from the move. 

Ontario Provincial Police have also said investigators are working to determine whether they should launch their own investigation into the government’s move to open the Greenbelt to development. Police said earlier this month they’re still looking into the matter.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Japanese immigrants fought for Canada during WW I while denied the right to vote
Canada news

Remembering Those Who Served — Japanese Canadians in WWI, Overlooked at Home

It’s strange and a little bitter how memory works. For decades, the...

Advocates concerned temporary immigration cuts don't address systemic issues
Canada news

Cutting Temporary Visas Won’t Fix Deep Problems — But It Will Hurt Some People

A big change is coming. The new Carney government has announced a...

MMA gym owners, coaches ID’d at secretive neo-Nazi event in B.C.
Canada news

MMA gym owners, coaches identified at secret neo-Nazi event in B.C.

Several prominent white supremacist groups convened in Vancouver this summer for a...

Canadian history is dotted with floor-crossers. Voters haven't always been thrilled
Canada news

When MPs Change Sides: Why Floor-Crossing Feels Risky — and Sometimes Pays Off

There’s something a little theatrical about an MP walking across the floor...