Home World News Canada news MLB fires Roberto Alomar from consultant position amid sexual misconduct allegation
Canada news

MLB fires Roberto Alomar from consultant position amid sexual misconduct allegation

Share
mlb fires roberto alomar from consultant position amid sexual misconduct allegation
Share
612565520

Major League Baseball has fired former Toronto Blue Jays second baseman and Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar from a consultant position amid a sexual misconduct allegation. 

Commissioner Robert D. Manfred Jr. announced on Friday that Alomar had been placed on the MLB’s ineligible list, according to a media release from the league. 

A statement from the commissioner said an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm at his office’s request to review the allegations, which date back to 2014 and were reported by a “baseball industry employee” earlier this year.

“Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB’s Ineligible List are warranted,” the statement said.

“We are grateful for the courage of the individual who came forward. MLB will continue to strive to create environments in which people feel comfortable speaking up without fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exclusion.”

Jays ‘severing all ties’ with player

A statement from the Toronto Blue Jays says the team supports the decision. 

“The Blue Jays are severing all ties with Alomar, effective immediately,” the Toronto Blue Jays said in a statement. 

“The Blue Jays are committed to advancing respect and equity in baseball and are taking further action by removing Alomar from the Level of Excellence and taking down his banner at Rogers Centre.”

The release says the team commends “the courage demonstrated by the individual who bravely came forward.”

Alomar says he’s ‘disappointed, surprised’

Alomar responded with a statement on Twitter, saying “with the current social climate [he understands] why Major League Baseball has taken the position they have.”

“I am disappointed, surprised, and upset with today’s news,” he said. “My hope is that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly.”

“I will continue to spend my time helping kids pursue their baseball dreams. I will not be making any further comment at this time.”

The MLB says it also won’t be providing further details to respect the person’s privacy and confidentiality. 

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Japanese immigrants fought for Canada during WW I while denied the right to vote
Canada news

Remembering Those Who Served — Japanese Canadians in WWI, Overlooked at Home

It’s strange and a little bitter how memory works. For decades, the...

Advocates concerned temporary immigration cuts don't address systemic issues
Canada news

Cutting Temporary Visas Won’t Fix Deep Problems — But It Will Hurt Some People

A big change is coming. The new Carney government has announced a...

MMA gym owners, coaches ID’d at secretive neo-Nazi event in B.C.
Canada news

MMA gym owners, coaches identified at secret neo-Nazi event in B.C.

Several prominent white supremacist groups convened in Vancouver this summer for a...

Canadian history is dotted with floor-crossers. Voters haven't always been thrilled
Canada news

When MPs Change Sides: Why Floor-Crossing Feels Risky — and Sometimes Pays Off

There’s something a little theatrical about an MP walking across the floor...