Home World News Canada news Canada’s defence chief steps aside amid investigation just 2 months after getting the job
Canada news

Canada’s defence chief steps aside amid investigation just 2 months after getting the job

Share
canadas defence chief steps aside amid investigation just 2 months after getting the job
Share
submarine fire study 20190711

Canada’s new top military commander, Admiral Art McDonald, has voluntarily stepped aside as he is investigated by the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service on unspecified allegations.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan posted a statement just after 11 p.m. Wednesday stating he was informed of the situation and takes allegations of misconduct seriously.

Sajjan said he continues to take strong action on any allegation of misconduct that is brought forward “no matter the rank, no matter the position.”

The minister did not reveal the nature of the allegations against McDonald and said he will not comment further because the investigation is ongoing.

Sajjan has appointed Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre as acting chief of the defence staff. Eyre is currently the commander of the army. 

This latest development comes in the wake of the controversy surrounding the former defence chief general Jonathan Vance, who retired.

Vance is also under investigation by the military’s National Investigation Service after allegations — first reported by Global News — that he had an inappropriate relationship with a female subordinate. 

McDonald appointed in December 

That investigation is looking into whether the former top military commander violated the code of service discipline, or if any laws were broken. 

McDonald was appointed to the role on Dec. 23, and he assumed command on Jan. 14, marking the official transfer of command of the Canadian Armed Forces from Vance to McDonald.

McDonald apologized earlier this month after a public backlash erupted when he posted a photo online about the importance of diversity. However, the photo depicted eight white, male colleagues sitting around a conference table with one woman on a screen in the background. 

“It’s true: the leadership of the CAF is, and historically has been, predominantly male and white. That needs to change,” McDonald tweeted.

“We need to reflect Canada’s diversity at all levels. We must work to eliminate systemic racism and dismantle the barriers to career advancement that exist. We are there in mindset but know there is still a lot of work to do, and we are committed to doing it.”

McDonald commanded the Royal Canadian Navy from 2019 to 2021.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Japanese immigrants fought for Canada during WW I while denied the right to vote
Canada news

Remembering Those Who Served — Japanese Canadians in WWI, Overlooked at Home

It’s strange and a little bitter how memory works. For decades, the...

Advocates concerned temporary immigration cuts don't address systemic issues
Canada news

Cutting Temporary Visas Won’t Fix Deep Problems — But It Will Hurt Some People

A big change is coming. The new Carney government has announced a...

MMA gym owners, coaches ID’d at secretive neo-Nazi event in B.C.
Canada news

MMA gym owners, coaches identified at secret neo-Nazi event in B.C.

Several prominent white supremacist groups convened in Vancouver this summer for a...

Canadian history is dotted with floor-crossers. Voters haven't always been thrilled
Canada news

When MPs Change Sides: Why Floor-Crossing Feels Risky — and Sometimes Pays Off

There’s something a little theatrical about an MP walking across the floor...