Home News Nasarawa radio owner tackles govt over closure
News

Nasarawa radio owner tackles govt over closure

Share
nasarawa radio owner tackles govt over closure
Share

Umar Muhammed, Lafia

The Executive Director of Breeze 99.9 FM in Nasarawa State, Dr Nawoni Aboki, has said the land, which he used for his radio station, was approved by the state Governor Tanko Al-Makura.

Aboki, who said this in an interview with Northern City News, noted that he paid for the land on February 28, 2017, and was issued with a Certificate of Occupancy the same day. He argued that he did not owe the state a dime.

The state government had on Saturday sent officials to demolish the structure for allegedly violating some occupancy rules, after which the radio workers started a protest.

It was reported on Sunday that armed policemen stormed the station and shot sporadically at the protesters, who described the demolition as illegal.

The radio station director, Aboki, said the claims of the state government were false.

He said, “On Friday last week, we got the first letter from the state Commissioner of Land and Survey, Mr Sunny Agassy, accusing us that we had changed the purpose of the land and we were operating a commercial office in a residential area. He said we did not pay our ground rents.

“So, we went there and we settled all the allegations brought by the commissioner. We showed him all our papers and we equally went to the Nasarawa Urban Development Board, but the NUDB claimed not to have seen the plan, particularly the site used for the radio station.”

Aboki alleged that the state government had an ulterior motive in the matter, as it even supervised the demolition.

Reacting on behalf of the state government, the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Mr. Abdlhamid Kwara, said the demolition of Breeze FM station was to protect the residents around the station from being exposed to transmission radiation.

“The exercise carried out was in line with the NUDB statutory functions. The station was not demolished because it broadcast a labour strike in the state. That insinuation is baseless and lacks substance,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Communications Commission has called for an immediate detention and prosecution of perpetrators of the destruction of telecommunications equipment across the nation.

The Executive Vice-Chairman of the commission, Prof. Umar Danbatta, made the statement at a one-day sensitisation workshop for law enforcement agencies in the North Central zone held at Sawalino Hotel, in the Keffi Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

Copyright PUNCH.               
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Robert Duvall, Oscar-Winning Star Of Tender Mercies, Dead At 95
Celebrity newsNews

Robert Duvall, Oscar-Winning Star of Tender Mercies, Dies at 95

Respected actor and filmmaker Robert Duvall has died. He had a remarkable...

Unsettling Sketch Of Nancy Guthrie Suspect Ignites A Brutal Internet War
Celebrity newsNews

The Sketch That Set Off a Storm: How One Drawing Turned a Missing-Person Case Into an Online Fight

A sketch artist imagined what is underneath the mask of a suspect...

Ryan Reynolds Left Blake Lively To Fend For Herself In Court & Everyone Noticed
Celebrity newsNews

Ryan Reynolds’ Absence at Court Raises Eyebrows Amid Blake Lively Legal Drama

It was a big day for Blake Lively when she and Justin...

John Travolta's Son Ben's Impressive Height Has Us Stunned In New Photo
Celebrity newsNews

Ben Travolta’s Surprise Growth — A Teen Who’s Already Towering

John Travolta's son hasn't spent much time in the public spotlight, but...