A suicide bomber has attacked a government office in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, causing a nearby school to collapse, police say.

The car bomb in Howlwadag district killed three soldiers and injured 14 people, including six children, local officials told BBC Somali.

The blast also damaged nearby houses and blew the roof off a mosque.

The militant group al-Shabab, which has waged an insurgency for more than 10 years, said it carried out the attack.

The three soldiers had died as they stopped the explosives-laden car from entering a government compound, local official Salah Hassan Omar said.

Also read:  Mark Zuckerberg hits back at Trump's accusations of his social media platform

Raqiya Mahamed Ali, who was in the compound at the time, said: “We were in the middle of our usual work when the explosion happened.

“I hid under the table. There was a lot of gunfire at our gate… when I came out, I saw many people injured on the ground and others dead,” she told Reuters.

Somalia has faced instability and violence since 1991, when the military government was overthrown.

The ousting of Mohamed Siad Barre led to a decades-long civil war between rival warlords, and two northern regions – Somaliland and Puntland – effectively broke away from Somalia.

Also read:  Airbus venture arm backing LeoLabs to build the 'Google Maps' of satellites

Much of the country has effectively been a war zone.

A UN-backed unity government was formed in 2012. Al-Shabab has since been driven out of many urban areas but still controls territory in rural regions and carries out gun attacks and bombings on military and civilian targets.

The militant group has imposed a strict version of Sharia in areas under its control, including stoning to death women accused of adultery and amputating the hands of thieves.

A truck attack in Mogadishu in October last year killed at least 500 people in the deadliest bombing in Somalia.

Also read:  Donald Trump US President tells Paris, Berlin to 'keep making money' via trade with Tehran US President Donald Trump said in an interview aired Sunday he does not object to France and Germany continuing trade with Iran, despite his refusal to certify the Iran nuclear deal.

A man accused of leading an al-Shabab unit that carried out the attack was sentenced to death in February.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here