Home News Nigeria News CONCACAF to investigate Malouda playing for Guyana
Nigeria News

CONCACAF to investigate Malouda playing for Guyana

Share
concacaf to investigate malouda playing for guyana
Share

The former France and Chelsea player was in the starting lineup for the territory of his birth which played to a scoreless draw with Honduras in a CONCACAF Gold Cup clash on Tuesday night.

Malouda

French Guiana’s midfielder Florent Malouda (R) drives past Honduras’s midfielder Alfredo Mejia during the Honduras vs. French Guiana 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup match at the BBVA Compass Stadium July 11, 2017 in Houston, Texas. / AFP PHOTO

According to CONCACAF regulations, Honduras should be awarded a 3-0 win via forfeit because of French Guiana’s apparent flouting of the rules, Sports Illustrated reported.

“The rules say he’s ineligible,” Sport Illustrated quoted a CONCACAF spokesman as saying. “We are using FIFA rules so a player who has played in an official match for a different (national team) cannot play in the Gold Cup.”

French Guiana manager Jair Karam made the decision to play the 37-year-old Malouda despite a ruling on Thursday by CONCACAF chiefs that he was ineligible.

Following the match, CONCACAF issued a statement saying the issue had been referred to the tournament’s disciplinary committee.

“The Disciplinary Committee will review the case and render its decision in due time,” it said.

After not playing in the Gold Cup newcomer’s first game against Canada, Malouda was given the captain’s armband for French Guiana’s second match.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
I’ll work with any political party – Iyabo Ojo tells critics after FAAN video
Nigeria News

Iyabo Ojo Responds to Criticism Over FAAN Video

Nollywood actress, Iyabo Ojo, has said she will work with any political...

Billboard under fire for calling Rema ‘one-hit wonder’
Nigeria News

Billboard Faces Backlash Over ‘One-Hit Wonder’ Label for Rema

United States entertainment magazine, Billboard, has come under fire on social media...

How Juju man tried to cast spell on me but failed – Nathaniel Bassey (VIDEO)
Nigeria News

Nathaniel Bassey Recounts Alleged Spiritual Attack on Express Road

Nigerian gospel minister and pastor, Nathaniel Bassey, has recounted how an alleged...

Ekiti judiciary moves to integrate High Court into Nigerian Case Management System
Nigeria NewsNews

Ekiti Judiciary Goes Digital: Bringing the High Court onto the NCMS

The Ekiti State Judiciary has commenced steps to integrate its High Court...