WowPlus
Home Celebrities Nigerian Celebrities CJN saga: What NJC plans to do to Onnoghen, Tanko Mohammed, Buhari
Nigerian Celebrities

CJN saga: What NJC plans to do to Onnoghen, Tanko Mohammed, Buhari

Share
Share
cjn onnoghen

The suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Walter Onnoghen has continued to cause controversy across Nigeria.

Buhari had last week suspended Onnoghen and immediately appointed Tanko Mohammed as the acting CJN.

Explaining his reason, the President said he suspended Onnoghen, following an order from the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, asking him to wield the big stick.

Reacting to the saga, the National Judicial Council, NJC, had yesterday issued a query to both the suspended CJN and the man on acting capacity.

In the query, NJC gave both Onnoghen and the acting CJN seven days to respond to the petitions brought against them.

However, an insider who spoke with DAILY POST on the ground of anonymity said the query issued to both Onnoghen and Mohammed was aimed at removing them from office.

The source stressed that NJC’s move was aimed at clearing its name of being political.

According to the source: “If you look at the situation on ground, some politicians seem to be on the side of Onnoghen while the Buhari’s government is backing Tanko Mohammed, this the NJC is not very pleased with. This can lead to suspicion.

” Because of this development, the NJC is silently working towards removing both Onnoghen and Tanko Mohammed because the body wants to maintain its image of being apolitical and to frustrate politicians rooting for the two gentlemen.

“And this process can only be successful when we take the first step; which is the query we issued both embattled NJC and the one on the acting capacity.

“When they both respond, the body will now deliberate and possibly decide to relieve both of them and a ew recommendation will be made for their replacement.”

When asked if the government will accept the new recommendation by the NJC, the source said: “When a recommendation is made and Buhari government refuses to accept, then Nigerians would know that the current anti-corruption fight is rubbish. It will become clear that the reason Onnoghen was suspended in the first place was political.

”This move by the NJC is a litmus test to the government in power. It’s an opportunity for the government to clear its name regarding the allegation of Onnoghen’s ‘prosecution.’ We will make our recommendation at the end of the day and see how the federal government will react to it,” he said.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Oyo attacks: ‘Silence after presidential pardon isn’t bravery’ – TikToker Sea King to Sunday Igboho
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Sea King Blasts Sunday Igboho Over Oyo Attacks And Rising Insecurity

Nigerian TikToker, Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King, has called out...

Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid Spotify Streams Hit Historic 11 Billion Milestone

Wizkid, a prominent Nigerian Afrobeats musician, has made history as the first...

Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Burna Boy, Tems nominated for 2026 BET Awards
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tems And Asake Score Major 2026 BET Awards Nominations

Nigerians Afrobeat singer, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Asake and Tems have been nominated...

Alleged extra marital affair: Court orders VeryDarkMan to pay Mr Jollof’s wife N30m for defamation
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

VeryDarkMan Ordered To Pay N30m After Court Rules Against Him In Defamation Case

A Delta State Federal High Court sitting in Effurun has ordered popular...