Calgary Flames defenceman Travis Hamonic has decided not to play in the NHL’s restart.
The Flames said Friday night that Hamonic has opted out of the NHL’s return-to-play program.
Players have until Monday at 5 p.m. ET to declare they are opting out following the ratification of the NHL’s return-to-play protocol on Friday night.
Hamonic, 29, had three goals and nine assists in 50 games this season.
WATCH | NHL, NHLPA approve return to play for Aug. 1:
The Flames defenceman said in a statement posted to Twitter that his decision centred around the fact that his daughter contracted a very serious respiratory virus last year.
A statement from Calgary Flames defenceman Travis Hamonic. <a href=”https://t.co/saLjEKoyQA”>pic.twitter.com/saLjEKoyQA</a>
“Due to what my daughter already has gone through and the concerns if she were to catch COVID-19, I’ve decided to opt out and seek a leave of absence from the Calgary Flames for the remainder of the playoffs,” Hamonic said.
The Flames will face the Winnipeg Jets in a best-of-five play in series starting Aug. 1 in Edmonton.
“Travis explained that due to family considerations, he has made the difficult decision not to participate in the Stanley Cup qualifier and playoffs,” Flames general manager Brad Treliving said in a statement.
WATCH | 9 things you should know about the NHL deal, in 90 seconds: