WowPlus
Home Celebrities Nigerian Celebrities Army vs Daily Trust: IPC condemns military invasion of Newspaper’s offices
Nigerian Celebrities

Army vs Daily Trust: IPC condemns military invasion of Newspaper’s offices

Share
Share
IPC Logo HighRes

The International Press Centre (IPC) has in strong terms condemned the military invasion of Daily Trust Newspapers’ offices in Lagos, Abuja and Maiduguri, describing it as a threat to democracy.

DAILY POST reports that on Sunday, armed soldiers stormed the newspaper’s office in Maiduguri and arrested Uthman Abubakar, the regional editor, and Ibrahim Sawab, a reporter.

Few hours after shutting down the Maiduguri office, soldiers also invaded the newspaper’s head office in Abuja and its Lagos bureau office.

Lanre Arogundade, IPC director, described the development as a “fresh threat to freedom of the press”.

He said in a statement: “The International Press Centre (IPC), Lagos-Nigeria, condemns in strong terms, the forceful closure of Daily Trust Newspapers’ head office in Abuja and the organisation’s Maiduguri office by military personnel on Sunday January 6, 2019.

“A senior editorial staff of the organisation confirmed the military onslaught on the media establishment stating that staff had been ordered out of the premises, laptops and computers seized and operations halted. No reason, he said, was given for the action.

“IPC considers this development as a fresh threat to freedom of the press as well as the freedom and individual liberties of journalists and other media professionals working in Daily Trust.

“The action of the military is also a threat to democracy with the presidential elections, less than two months away.

“The military is bound by the laws of the land and cannot in any circumstance be allowed to resort to extra judicial measures no matter its grievances.”

Meanwhile, the federal government has ordered soldiers to vacate the newspaper’s office without delay.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Oyo attacks: ‘Silence after presidential pardon isn’t bravery’ – TikToker Sea King to Sunday Igboho
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Sea King Blasts Sunday Igboho Over Oyo Attacks And Rising Insecurity

Nigerian TikToker, Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King, has called out...

Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid Spotify Streams Hit Historic 11 Billion Milestone

Wizkid, a prominent Nigerian Afrobeats musician, has made history as the first...

Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Burna Boy, Tems nominated for 2026 BET Awards
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tems And Asake Score Major 2026 BET Awards Nominations

Nigerians Afrobeat singer, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Asake and Tems have been nominated...

Alleged extra marital affair: Court orders VeryDarkMan to pay Mr Jollof’s wife N30m for defamation
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

VeryDarkMan Ordered To Pay N30m After Court Rules Against Him In Defamation Case

A Delta State Federal High Court sitting in Effurun has ordered popular...