Home Sports Football Deportivo La Coruna still hoping to re-sign Lucas Perez from Arsenal
Football

Deportivo La Coruna still hoping to re-sign Lucas Perez from Arsenal

Share
deportivo la coruna still hoping to re sign lucas perez from arsenal
Share

r124084 1296x729 16 9 Lucas Perez joined Arsenal from Deportivo La Coruna last summer.

Deportivo La Coruna have not given up hope of bringing Arsenal striker Lucas Perez back to the Spanish club this summer.

Perez made just two Premier League starts after joining Arsenal last summer in a £17 million transfer from Deportivo.

The 28-year-old recently said that a move away from the Emirates Stadium is imperative for him to enhance his chances of competing for Spain at the 2018 World Cup.

“Nothing is impossible but we have a limit,” Deportivo president Tino Fernandez told “Galicia en Goles” radio show when asked about Perez. “I never mention figures but we have done all that Deportivo can, even making a big effort because of the importance that I believe Lucas can have in this team next season.

“This is a very difficult negotiation but if I didn’t think there was a chance I would say so. If we are still in the race [to acquire him] it’s because we believe there is a possibility. We will continue to fight because the truth is that he [Perez] is looking forward to joining us.”

Newcastle are also keen to acquire Perez, with manager Rafa Benitez saying earlier this week he has monitored the player.

Perez was one of the key players in La Liga in the 2015-16 campaign, scoring 17 goals and setting up eight more in 35 starts for Deportivo, but he has not played for Spain yet.

It will be difficult for Deportivo to compete with other clubs to land Perez this summer and Fernandez says his side are also looking at alternatives.

“We can’t wait much more,” he said. “We are also looking at other options as we have to take decisions because we are in the month of August and that is an important position.”

Deportivo are looking to improve on last season’s 16th-place finish in La Liga.

Coach Pepe Mel says Perez would have a key role in his side.

He told AS: “If he [Perez] comes, he will have to captain the team with goals, assists and win games.”

In addition to luring Perez back to the Riazor, Fernandez said his club are already in line to acquire Adrian Lopez on a season-long loan from Porto.

“We have an agreement with Adrian and with the club,” Fernandez said. “There is an agreement for a season on loan. All that is missing is something between them [Porto and Lopez].”

Adriana Garcia is a Valencia-based football writer who covers La Liga for ESPN FC.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts

Related Articles
Liverpool vs Arsenal preview, team news, prediction and more
Football

Anfield Test: Liverpool vs Arsenal — What to Expect

Two early Premier League title contenders meet this Sunday as Liverpool welcome...

Newcastle United face roadblock in pursuit of Strand Larsen
Football

Newcastle’s Hunt for a Forward Hits a Snag — Strand Larsen Stays Put (for Now)

Newcastle United are reportedly keen on adding another striker to their squad...

Bruno Fernandes considers MLS move after Saudi interest
Football

Bruno Fernandes Weighs Up a Fresh Chapter — MLS on the Table

Bruno Fernandes’ future at Manchester United is uncertain, according to recent reports....

Kostas Tsimikas edges closer to AS Roma loan from Liverpool
Football

Tsimikas on the Brink: A Loan to AS Roma Looks Likely

Liverpool have clarified their stance on Kostas Tsimikas as the Greek full-back...