WowPlus
Home Celebrities Nigerian Celebrities Xenophobia attack: ’50 suspects arrested’ – Details of South African envoy meeting with Buhari
Nigerian Celebrities

Xenophobia attack: ’50 suspects arrested’ – Details of South African envoy meeting with Buhari

Share
Share
Buhari1

South African Government on Monday formally apologised to Nigerians and the Nigerian Government over recent xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals, including Nigerians in that country.

President Cyril Ramaphosa’s Special Envoy to Nigeria, Mr Jeff Radebe, conveyed the apology when he met with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Monday.

Addressing State House correspondents after the closed door meeting with the Nigerian leader, Radebe said President Ramaphosa had already directed the law enforcement agencies to apprehend all those involved in the attacks.

Radebe, who is South Africa’s Minister of Energy, said over 50 suspects had so far been apprehended in connection with the xenophobic violence which erupted in some parts of South Africa, NAN reports.

“We met a short while ago with President Muhammadu Buhari to convey our President Ramaphosa’s sincerest apologies about the incidents that have recently transpired in South Africa.

“Those incidents do not represent what we stand for as constitutional democracy in South Africa and the President has apologized for these incidents and he has also instructed law enforcement agencies to leave no stone unturned so that all those involved must be brought to book so that the rule of laws must prevail in South Africa,’’ he said.

President Ramaphosa, according to the envoy, said Nigeria and South Africa must continue to play a critical role in rebuilding of Africa to attain the Agenda 2063.

President Buhari had in the wake of the xenophobic attacks by South Africans against foreigners including Nigerians, sent Amb. Ahmed Abubakar, Director-General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), as his Special Envoy to South Africa.

The President, who received the Report of the NIA boss on Sept. 9, ordered for the immediate evacuation of all Nigerians who are willing to return home from South Africa following the xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals.

NAN reports that the Management of Air Peace in collaboration with the Federal Government had on Sept. 11 evacuated 187 Nigerians from South Africa while another set of 320 Nigerians would be evacuated from that country on Tuesday.

President Ramaphosa was on Saturday during the funeral of the former Zimbabwean leader, Robert Mugabe, reported to have apologized for the attacks on foreign nationals in his country.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles
Oyo attacks: ‘Silence after presidential pardon isn’t bravery’ – TikToker Sea King to Sunday Igboho
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Sea King Blasts Sunday Igboho Over Oyo Attacks And Rising Insecurity

Nigerian TikToker, Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King, has called out...

Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid Spotify Streams Hit Historic 11 Billion Milestone

Wizkid, a prominent Nigerian Afrobeats musician, has made history as the first...

Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Burna Boy, Tems nominated for 2026 BET Awards
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tems And Asake Score Major 2026 BET Awards Nominations

Nigerians Afrobeat singer, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Asake and Tems have been nominated...

Alleged extra marital affair: Court orders VeryDarkMan to pay Mr Jollof’s wife N30m for defamation
Nigerian CelebritiesTrending

VeryDarkMan Ordered To Pay N30m After Court Rules Against Him In Defamation Case

A Delta State Federal High Court sitting in Effurun has ordered popular...